Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Fatal accident lawyers in Annapolis, MD understand that no monetary award can ever make up for the loss of a loved one. However, when someone is killed because of the negligence, carelessness or deliberate action of another person, laws are in place to seek justice and help families recover the compensation they rightfully deserve.
To win a wrongful death claim after a fatal accident, you must be able to prove that the death of the victim could have been avoided if it were not for the negligent actions of the defendant. Winning such a case often requires the guidance and counsel of an experienced and knowledgeable wrongful death attorney. Wrongful death claims often enable family members to be compensated for the following expenses:
- All medical costs and bills related to the accident
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The loss of income expected from future earnings until the age of retirement
- Compensation for property damages from the accident
Other less quantifiable losses can also be compensated, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of guidance and protection
- The loss of love and companionship
- The loss of service of the family member
Proving wrongful death sometimes takes a good deal of time and research. To win a case often requires not only a capable attorney but expert witnesses as well. For this reason, having a wrongful death attorney on your side can be very helpful. Contact the Washington DC fatal accident attorneys at the law offices of Howie Law Firm LLC for a free consultation for personal injury cases today.