What You Should Do After a Dog Bite Accident
Believe it or not, thousands of people are bitten by dogs every year. However, only some receive financial compensation for their injuries. First, you should seek medical attention immediately after the incident. What you do after that is very important as well. A Annapolis, MD dog bite lawyer can help you protect your rights and assist you in filing a claim.
Listed below are some of the steps you should follow in the event that you are bitten by a dog:
- Rabies. After seeking immediate medical attention for your injuries, you should have the animal checked for rabies. If this isn’t possible, then discuss it with your doctor so that precautionary measures can be taken.
- Photos. Take a picture of the dog that bit you , as well as your injuries before and after treatment.
- Information. Make sure you acquire the address, contact and insurance information of the dog’s owner.
- Make a report. If you are severely bitten by a dog, you shouldn’t feel badly about reporting the accident to the police or to animal control. Not only will this be pivotal to your case, but also it prevents the dog from injuring others in the future.
- Don’t speak with the homeowner’s insurance representatives. Do not give a written statement to the homeowner’s insurance company. This could eventually be used against you in trial.